JOURNAL OF EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE AND HEALTHCARE

Table of Contents

2018 Month : June Volume : 5 Issue : 24 Page : 1842-1845

IS THERE AN ASSOCIATION BETWEEN RENAL RESISTANCE INDEX AND EARLY POST RENAL TRANSPLANT FUNCTION?

Leelavathi Venkatesh1, Ramalingaiah Karadakere Hanumegowda2

Corresponding Author:
Dr. Ramalingaiah K. H,
Associate Professor,
Department of Radiology,
Institute of Nephro-Urology,
Victoria Hospital Campus, Bangalore- 560002.
E-mail: drrams2009@hotmail.com
DOI: 10.18410/jebmh/2018/384

ABSTRACT
BACKGROUND
The Intrarenal Resistance Index (RI) measured by colour Doppler ultrasound early after renal transplant period is to assess renal allograft function, although significance of resistive index remains unclear. Hence this study was done to find out if there is association between RI and graft function.

MATERIALS AND METHODS
It is a retrospective study of hospital based medical records of all transplant recipients during April 2009 to December 2016. 139 transplant recipients were included in the study. Their clinical, biochemical, radiological RI index data were analysed with SPSS version 20.

RESULTS
There were 139 transplant recipients, of which 118 (84.8%) were male and 21(15.2%) were female and with mean age of 30.4 years. Live donor transplant recipients were 117 (84.2%) and the remaining were deceased donor recipients 22 (15.8%). Mean RI was 0.5. There was no difference in mean RI between male and female recipients and age. There was significant association between RI > 0.7 and slow graft, delayed graft, deceased donor, dialysis vintage time and length of hospital stay.

CONCLUSION
A renal artery resistance index higher than 0.7 predicts graft dysfunction among early post renal transplant recipients.

KEYWORDS
Doppler ultrasound, intra renal artery, kidney transplant.